How to Set Your Dinner Table
Setting the table is often a stressful task that leaves us wondering about the correct way to place silverware, plates, glasses and napkins on the table. You don't need that added stress to your dinner plans, its supposed to be fun. Just start with the basic table setting to start with and go from there, if you want it a little fancier, just add to it.
This is appropriate for most occasions, and you just add to the basic pieces as needed.
- Place the dinner plate in the centre of the place setting and place everything else is around it.
- The cutlery is arranged around the plate in the order in which it will be used. To the left of the plate is the fork. To the right of the plate is knife and spoon. The knife is placed to the right of the plate with the sharp edge toward the plate. To the right of the knife is the spoon.
- A glass of water goes above the knife.
- Napkins can be placed under the forks or on the plate for an informal setting.
Simply start with a basic setting and add to it.
- If you are serving a salad, the salad fork is placed to the left of the dinner fork.
- If you are serving soup, set the bowl on the plate and a spoon to the right of the beverage spoon.
- Salad or bread and butter plates go to the left of the forks. Position butter plates above with the butter knife placed across the plate.
- Cup and saucer go above the spoons with the handle toward the right. Wine or water glasses can be positioned to the left of the coffee cup.